A former Indian Administrative Service officer, Ashwini Vaishnaw is an Indian politician and entrepreneur who currently serves as the Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology of India. He is also a member of the Parliament of India representing Odisha State in the Rajya Sabha.
|Profession||Politician, Former IAS Officer, Railway Minister India 2021|
|Alma Mater||MBM Engineering College, IIT Kanpur, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
|MBM Engineering College, IIT Kanpur, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Occupation||Member of the Parliament of India, Minister of Railways, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology of India|
|School||St. Anthony’s School, Jodhpur; Mahesh School, Jodhpur|
|Hair Colour||Salt & paper|
|Graduation||BE from MBM Engineering College, Jai Narayan Vyas University, Jodhpur, Rajasthan; MTech from IIT Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh; MBA from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA|
|Address||Flat No. 1-A, Ananda Residency, Plot no.45, shaeed nagar bhuwaneshwar odisha|
Early years and education
- Ashwini Vaishnaw was born to a Bairagi Brahmin family in Jodhpur, Rajasthan in 1970.
- His family originally hails from Odisha.
- He completed his school education at St. Anthony’s School and Mahesh School, both in Jodhpur.
- He graduated from MBM Engineering College (JNVU) Jodhpur in 1991 with a gold medal in Electronics and Communications Engineering.
- He completed his MTech from IIT Kanpur.
- In 1994, Vaishnaw cracked the prestigious UPSC exam to become an IAS officer.
- In 2008, he left for the US to pursue an MBA from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Career in Civil Services
- Ashwini Vaishnaw served as a Collector in the Cuttack and Balasore districts of Odisha.
- In 2003, he was appointed as the Deputy Secretary in the office of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- While working at the PMO, he contributed towards creating the public-private partnership framework in infrastructure projects.
- After the BJP-led NDA lost the election in 2004, Vaishnaw was appointed as Vajpayee’s private secretary.
- He served as the Deputy Chairman of Mormugao Port Trust from 2006 till 2008.
- In 2010, he took voluntary retirement from civil services.
|Service||Indian Administrative Service|
|Designation||Collector in the Cuttack|
Collector of Balasore district
Deputy Secretary For Atal Bihari Ji
Vajpayee’s private secretary
Deputy Chairman of Mormugao Port Trust
A career in the corporate sector and entrepreneurial journey
- After completing his MBA and retiring from the civil services, Ashwini Vaishnaw joined GE Transportation as its Managing Director.
- He joined Siemens as the Vice President – Locomotives & Head Urban Infrastructure Strategy.
- In 2012, he quit his corporate job and founded two automotive components manufacturing units in Gujarat – Three Tee Auto Logistics Private Limited and Vee Gee Auto Components Private Limited.
- In 2017, he worked with other entrepreneurs to acquire an iron-oxide pellet manufacturing unit in Odisha, which he turned around in a short period.
Ashwini Vaishnaw Career in Politics
- Ashwini Vaishnaw was nominated to be a Rajya Sabha member from Odisha state in 2019.
- After becoming a Member of the Parliament, he joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) in the same year.
- He was appointed as a member of the Committee on Subordinate Legislation and Petitions and Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests.
- Vaishnaw is quite vocal on issues ranging from Ship Recycling Bill to Women Protection in Rajya Sabha to further the public discourse on those issues.
- In July 2021, Ashwini Vaishnaw was inducted into the cabinet as the Minister of Railways, Minister of Electronics and Information Technology, and Minister of Communications.
- In 2021 , new social media rule implemented by govt. Twitter decided to go against goverment policies.Ashwini as a minister of communication warned twitter over new rules of social media.He said” Who ever works and lives in india should follow the rules and law of the land is supreme”
|Parents||Father – Dau Lal Vaishnaw|
Mother – Saraswati Vaishnaw
|Wife||Sunita Vaishnav (Entreprenaur )|
|Children||Son : Rahul Vaishnav |
Daughter : Tanya Vaishnav
|Siblings||Brother : Anand Vaishnaw|
|Net Worth||Rs 17.18 crore approx (2018)|
Ashwini Vaishnaw’s social media handles
Twitter : https://twitter.com/AshwiniVaishnaw
Faceook : https://www.facebook.com/ashwinivaishnawmp/
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/ashwini.vaishnaw